Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Battling the Spring Mental Slump

Every year that I've raced, even as a junior, I always encountered a mental slump usually in the vicinity of late March early April that always coincides with a physical slump of some sort. Most, if not all, of this slump consists of a certain variety of doubt about my form. Usually, there is a 2-3 pound weight gain involved. But there are usually life events that coincide that make the slump feel a little more real. And, not to go into too much detail, but this is the case at the moment.

The past week and a half (maybe 2 weeks) I hit that slump. This slump culminated today in a difficult and demoralizing Tuesday night race experience, where I did not make the selection when I most definitely should have. There were plenty of wheels to jump on that would have taken me up there. Heck, last week I probably could have bridged up to this selection, no problem. I just didn't have the courage to suffer like I normally would today.

In previous years, especially in this decade, during one of my "false start" comeback attempts, I would have hit this slump and said "f#ck it." I would have probably bought a six pack and drank most of it tonight and let my bike gather dust for a few weeks, try to race or ride again in mid or late April, get my ass totally kicked, and said "f+ck this sport, I'm out of here."

But there are two reasons why this won't happen.

#1. I don't drink anymore. I could probably start a blog talking just specifically about why that is, but I won't get into it. It ruined me as an athlete. It just doesn't work for me.

#2. I've committed to this season (and to others in the future) because this is what I love to do, more than anything other than hanging out with my wife and daughter. Why not indulge a passion like this?

The slump is over tonight . . .

2 comments:

  1. so how's the slump slaying coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think so. I made the selection tonight, and am still not mentally quite there, but it has come around. As a buddy told me last fall "Even when things get really tough, you've got to just push through and keep riding (and racing)." So true.

    ReplyDelete