Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Sewups and Tri-Bars

Below are some old school sew-ups I'm going to get running for some crit action in the next few months. I think they are from the mid 1990s, possibly purchased when I worked at Cycleworks in Lincoln Nebraska. I literally have not ridden on sewups since 1987. I now yearn for their silky, light feel on the road. I wouldn't have dared enter a race in the 1980s without sewups, but then again clinchers really sucked back then (I also trained mostly on tubulars).



On a different note--at the Tue. night ride last night I was told by a number of people that the CBC sponsored century ride wasn't actually happening this year, and that the Columbia Multisport Club had organized a century instead.

I really hate to sound elitist, here, but when when we showed up at the ride I was shocked and stunned by what looked like a modernist sculpture gone terribly awry--what seemed like 1000 tri bars jutting at different angles into the air.

Now, I have nothing against triathletes, triathlons, or aero-bars in time-trials. I just don't understand why people don't take them off for group rides. Aerobars are miserable torture devices, for the most part, designed to help cyclists go faster and nothing more.

2 comments:

  1. You never see these pseudo triathletes doing more than 18 on the flat, I don't really see the point either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've got a brand spankin' new pair of gl-330's that have never been laced. 32 hole even. i've been thinking of building them up for 'cross, just for giggles.

    ReplyDelete