Tuesday, July 24, 2007

107 miles to Kirksville, MO

Since 2000, when Michael and I were both racing as Cat. 3s quite a bit, we engage in a summer ritual--riding our bikes to our original hometown, Kirksville. It is a surprisingly arduous ride, with a 30 mile section between Renick and College Mound being relatively flat, sandwiched between roads with endless, relentless rolling terrain, the kind that will sap your will to ride hard. Fortunately, Hwy 3 into Kirksville is remarkably flat, but by then I'm usually completely spent.

It was different this year. We both marshalled our resources, and the last 20 miles was ridden on excellent form--we averaged close to 22 miles an hour on State Hwy 3--and I think I barely got Michael at the Kirksville city limit sign. On previous years, whether because of the extraordinary heat or lack of fuel, or intake of beer the night before, I've really had terrible melt-downs, sometimes 30 miles away from the finish.

The total time for the full 100 miles was 5:30, which isn't super fast by racing standards, but in all actuality it was nearly as fast as the ride time in 2000.

But, most importantly (I'm sure Butthead would agree) I'm on target for what might be my best fitness ever for cyclocross season.

No comments:

Post a Comment