Sunday, April 19, 2009

Race # 2



Me on the far left thinking "man, I am totally unprepared for this race today." "I'm really glad I didn't crash back there," and "where's my Kodiak chaw when I need it."



A brilliant Matt Pence sprinting up the monstrous hill to win the Cat 3s at Hermann. (This fantastic photo was taken by Jonathon Schilling).

I haven't raced for well over a month. I journeyed over to one of the great German-American regions of the country--Hermann, Missouri--for what appears to be the advent of a fine, fine stage race/omnium competition. However, I got near the course and realized that I was not prepared for this criterium.

#1: The course is not unlike the Snake Alley Criterium in its elevation gain and the overall steepness of the hill. In fact, I usually have to tinker with my bike for at least a week in order to figure out the exact set screw configuration on my front der. so I don't drop my chain on the Snake. This would cause me serious problems very early on in the race(see see Jimmiez entry called "Record Snake Bite" for a better analysis of what it takes to be ready for Snake).

#2: I have yet another head cold that my daughter seems to have passed around the family this week.

#3: On the warm-up lap, when we were going about 45 miles an hour down the descent, a rider who will remain nameless (and who seems to be a really good guy, actually) almost took me out. I was very shaken at the start of the race.

All these excuses aside, I dropped my chain on lap number 2 and while trying to ride it back on (never a good idea in a race) very nearly caused a really, really bad crash. I wheeled off the course to put it back on so that I wouldn't wreck anybody else, but by that time I was so far in last place that I just said to heck with it all. I saw some other folks take free laps later on with thrown chains, but last I heard its your own stupid fault if you don't have your set screws right.

Finally, though, I was just shaken from the near accident on the descent, maybe I'm just becoming soft. I almost took one of the Revolution gals out, I mean it would have been an awful crash, and it just totally shook me up. After this second crash almost happened while I was trying to ride my chain on, I just could not motivate to keep going, esp. in dead last place and with a head cold.

4 comments:

  1. Seth, at least you gave it a go - I wussed out. See you tuesday.
    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kicking myself for not trying to continue after the dropped chain . . . but I felt pretty demoralized at that point. See you Tue. for sure.

    Seth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not get to worried about Hermann. I really want to like that weekend but.......I had zero desire to go race Sunday morning. I like hard events but I don't like events where people can seriously get hurt. Saturdays course could have killed somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, that's good to hear. You and Fish played it cool and safe those first few laps, that was a brilliant strategy. After about 4 or 5 laps you guys were just picking folks off like crazy.

    See you Tue--Seth

    ReplyDelete