
Nothing like moving to completely wreck aspirations for an early road season. The best I can say is that I’ve lost some weight, but that’s about it.
In many ways I really should be honest with myself and admit that riding mountain bikes out at Cosmo with Prozenberger, doing a few mtn. bike and cx races, and just having fun on the bike is the way to go with my busy life right now. Road racing takes so much time and discipline to even hang in there, to even be pack fodder. Remember those days when when you were an undergrad, rode 320 miles a week, and worked at a bike shop? Those days are over. In many ways this is what it took for me to be a good bike racer on the road, to stay focused.
But then again I'm good at denial a lot of the time, and I still believe that I might want to go up to Snake Alley, if just to get handed a beer by a guy in a prom dress to subsequently puke the beer all over myself on the descent (aka: 2003)
The very best thing that could happen is if I consistently drop my brother this summer, however.
moving is tough ... i just finished unpacking from when i moved back in november.
ReplyDeleteracing is awesome. its the having to train part that gets me down. i like blended scotch whiskey too much to ever get serious about it again. and fly fishing.
that said, i am looking forward to jumping into some old man cyclo-cross races this fall.
spring is here in the rockies. 68 degrees today. blue sky. so after i went ... fly fishing. didn't catch a damn thing, and you know what? i don't really care.
dropping your brother is a very worthy goal. tighten the barrel adjuster on his brakes for good measure, just in case.
Man road racing is awesome. Dropping my brother and butthead's cyclocross practices are better, in most ways, though.
ReplyDeleteIt'll never happen again. The one time in '06 was a fluke.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, in xc ski and uphill commute land, Miguel is readying for a May 4 triathalon.
That is scary. I better double my core strength work and get down to 165.
ReplyDeleteyou guys and your sibling rivalry totally crack me up.
ReplyDeleteWow. I never knew you puked up the beer. It was pretty cool to watch it going down, though.
ReplyDelete