Sunday, September 16, 2007

Various photos from ToM Part 2

Navigators mechanic laughing (about the blowup doll, I presume)

The field flying up Guthrie hill, which I normally flounder up in the 39-23


Blowup doll delivery

The break on Guthrie Hill # 1


The field--Guthrie

Tracy, in the foreground, had taken over the blowup doll by this point

College Ave. is transformed

The break on Stage 4--W. of Guthrie, MO

Scott, myself and the Hargett family went down to Jeff City for the start of stage 5. It was a unique experience hanging out near the team cars. The Tecos team was jovial and the Sparkasse team management looked like they had just emerged from an episode of "Sprockets." Gert Vanderaerden's bike looked pretty beaten up, surprisingly. I guess a D-2 team equipment budget is getting stretched this time of year.

The scent of camphor leg balm permeated the air around the team camps--and took me back 7 years ago to the month I spent in Belgium following Michael around to several Kermesses. It is a smell unique to European/Pro bike races.

There were tens of thousands of people at the finish in St. Charles. The guy at the barriers next to me worked for the Discovery channel and lived in Seattle. He was one of the cameramen on the show "The Deadliest Catch."

2 comments:

  1. You got the guy from the Discovery Channel and I got the kid who just got off the short bus and wanted me to send a signal to the helicopter with my air horn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, yeah, I'm not sure how he escaped the institution.

    ReplyDelete