Monday, August 20, 2007

My Walter Mitty dreams

To think that I can start training in late May and be competitive in road racing was a foolish conceit--I've decided that I'm going to forgo the Gateway Cup and any road racing this year for a few cyclocross races.

I have to be honest with myself--my current 208 pound weight and fitness level would leave me completely demoralized on the sidelines of even a Cat. 4 race after probably a few laps. When this happens I just want to quit and take up lawn mowing as a hobby.

Road racing takes a tremendous amount of groudwork to make it worthwhile and fun and I just didn't lay that groundwork this year. The groundwork that I did put down up until this point should work out ok for cyclocross season--everybody gets dropped and lapped out there anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment