Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Somewhat Bizarre Odyssey of Pain

A word to the wise--demonstrating somersaults to your 22 month old daughter is never a good idea when you have a history of back problems, are 20 pounds overweight and 37 years old.

So, anyway, I now have two herniated discs in my upper back (right side of my neck) and I haven't been to work since last Wednesday, and I've pretty much been bed ridden until today. I finally found some relief with a steroid treatment at Boone and a spinal manipulation by a DO here in Columbia. The Vicodin helps too. Actually, to be honest the manipulation was the thing that took me from a 9 on a pain scale from 1 - 10 to what is currently a 4. Osteopaths work wonders. The name of the doctor is Dr. Billy Straight and he just moved here from Kirksville where he taught for many years. Growing up in Kirksville, we were all just a little bit healthier, I believe, because of the holistic approach of Osteopathic medicine.

Its hard to describe the misery of bulging and herniating discs. Possibly the worst thing about it is that such continuous, unrelenting pain, even in your sleep, causes your mind to lose all focus and rational thought processes. You dream in and of pain, you eat in pain, you read in pain, your words contain scattershot phrases that make no sense because of the pain. You can't work. All you want is relief and with slipped discs it is so elusive.

Cyclocross season still seems a go, but man could I go for some of Jimmiez neck pain medicine right now. I just feel like I emerged from a journey into the other side, to some degree. If I can get my neck and back healthy again and start training for November and December cross.

2 comments:

  1. You just described child birth! :-)

    Kidding, I had to say that for Kelly! I hope you feel better. Take care and no more gymnastics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny, Kelly and I were comparing pain, and she also mentioned childbirth. :)

    I think I'm on the mend. Hope to be riding again in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete