Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Its been a long time

daverill just updated his blog and I need to also. Work and life have been so busy I haven't really had time.

As anyone who reads this blog can figure out: Snake Alley is an obsession of mine. It is a transcendent experience that goes beyond any and all Midwestern, or for that matter, American reality. I'm probably one of the dozens or maybe hundreds of people in this country who dream about this race throughout the year, even though I've never even finished (for Gods sake.) My good friend Dave Averill almost won the damn thing in 1997 as a Cat 3, and then did some serious time living the dream as a Cat 2 for 4 years after that. He one of the very best cyclists I've ever known.

Every year that I go there I remember every hour of every race I watch or participate in. I mean, its not roadie heaven like Downer's Grove, some guys who specialize in mountain bike racing just eat the course up (I'm sure the Reverend would rage there). But as I write this, I know that some day soon I will be back, probably with my brother and our children in tow, trying once again to finish. And I swear that I will finish one day.

1 comment:

  1. the snake is my nemisis. an obsession. the stuff of nightmares. pure indulgence of pain.

    i wish it were closer to ft. collins.

    ReplyDelete