I have to admit, my wife and I are huge fans of the Olympics. We are addicts. What looks like the hardest sport? Rowing. A true suffer-fest of immense proportions.
What the Olympics mean to me goes far back into my childhood and probably into my future. As a devotee of the events as far back as the Montreal 1976 Olympics, the year that inspired me the most, of course, was the LA Olympics. I fell in love with bike riding and racing that summer, and Grewal's Gold medal was perhaps the most emotional sporting moment I had seen in my 14 years so far on this earth. There is certainly a spirit to it that transcends the humdrum human existence. Perhaps this is why it is so worthwhile.
But this games has meant something to me on a different level--the winner of the the women's marathon, Constantina Tomescu, is my age. Dara Torres, is 3 years older than me, and is still a phenom. Sure, they probably have to spend a little bit more time on recovery and flexibility, but both of these individuals are at the top of their game. Age limits for top performances in athletics is expanding. That is truly inspirational to me.
Torres rocks!!! But she should, she spends around 1oo grand a year to look/preform that way. We could too if we spent that kind of money!! Don't get me wrong by saying that - she still rocks!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, in some ways I've wondered about her training program and how if its really worth it.
ReplyDeleteI want to be young forever. When are they going to discover the fountain of youth??
Well it is 2008 and we do not have flying cars!!! :-) I wouldn't bank on it coming soon. Maybe Lucy and Dillon's generation.
ReplyDelete