So, as time allows, I've been riding again. As I've been having some problems with my left knee, I've been working on "supplesse" as the French call it (high cadence, very round pedal strokes, technique, "smooth as silk") and I'm also trying to lose a significant amount of weight.
In essence, I've been riding completely alone and in the 39-16 most of the time. I've added a few hills, but nothing hard, this is what was bothering my knee, grinding up hills.
Here's the deal. Since I've been playing around on the bike since 2001, I've really just done a tiny bit of slow miles in the early season, followed by a variety of stuff that usually included intervals and hard group rides on a tiny base level of fitness and no concentration on my pedal stroke, etc. I think this has hurt me--not only has it damaged my pedal stroke and general form on the bike, it has also contributed to the fact that I just can't seem to lose any weight while cycling (since you just can't go super hard if you are in a calorie deficit, in fact it's just plain demoralizing). I once followed the plan that a mountain bike racer named John Weissenreider followed--training in the spring with efforts no harder than breathing through your nose allows. It might sound crazy, but it worked for me.
I am by no means an expert or even that experienced on the subject, but when I used to ride with Cecile Desair she told me several times about her brother (the pro in Belgium) who would chunk out in the winter Jan Ulrich-style and then lose it all with long SLOW rides. She stressed that the long, slowness was the key. Also, he smoked one cigarette a day.
ReplyDeleteI wonder where she is now?
I am not an expert either or in shape for that matter...but, at one time, many moons ago, I was running and training myself. I read a book, which I still have and cannot remember the author's name (He is a running guru). He believed in long, slow runs...esp to lose weight. I wonder if the same applies to cycling?
ReplyDeleteI hate to say this--but I actually smoked a few cigarettes a week in the late 1990s and in 2000 when I was racing as a Cat. 3. I was riding better then. Perhaps its not the long slow distance, but the cigarettes?
ReplyDeleteJust kidding.
It had more to do with youth than anything . . .
Actually, youth, time, and being lean.
ReplyDeletemove to colorado and take up backcountry telemark skiing. i'm down 21 lbs since november and my resting heart rate is about 46 bpm.
ReplyDeleteno power to turn the cranks hard but that'll come back around by the time 'cross does.
did i just mention 'cross?
omgzoooom111s!!!!
If you are still wondering where Cecile Desair is, well I am here in Norway.
ReplyDeleteI am still biking a lot and am a big supporter of my future husband who is the 5 time World Champion time trialist in the masters category.